•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Saturday 1 May 2010

Review: The Year of Disappearances by Susan Hubbard



Title: The Year of Disappearances
Author: Susan Hubbard
Pages: 286
Publisher: Simon Schuster Paperbacks
Reading Level: Young Adult


Reading Timeline: About a week
Rating:


"It was the year of disappearances.
The honeybees were the first to go. "

Ariella Montero is no stranger to the dark side of life. Half human, half vampire, she spent her first thirteen years in exile from both societies. When her best friend was murdered, Ari ran away to begin a new life in Florida. But, one by one, the people and things she cares most about keep disappearing. And Ari may be next.

She can hypnotize, she can read minds, and she can make herself invisible, but can she escape her stalkers? Ari's special talents are severely tested as she moves on -- from a vampire community in the Sunshine State to college in Georgia to the primeval maze of the Okefenokee Swamp.

In contending with the politics of vampire and human cultures, Ari comes face-to-face with zombies that are infiltrating America, as well as demons and shadows that haunt us all. The Year of Disappearances continues the most surprising vampire story you'll ever read.

Taschima's POV:

The Year of Disappearances was a true sequel to the first book, containing most of the elements I loved and captivated me of The Society of S, but at the same time giving me more to hold on to.

Ariella Montero knows plenty about losing things that are dear to her. It was first her mother, then her father, and now the bees. Things keep disappearing from her life, like for example her ex best friend, who was murdered. As she is trying to deal with it all, and get used to living in Florida, Ari is learning more and more about life, love, trust, and deceit.

This novel was much like the first novel. It didn't improve much in things like plot, but I saw character development. The novel is like, at first sight it doesn't have much to give, but as you keep reading you will notice you can't take your eyes off the page.

Don't misunderstand me, there IS a some sort of plot, but it's bleak, the plot is the background and the characters are the colors, what brings the book life. There appears to be some secret going on in the vampire society. It involves drugs, clans, dominance, and survival. People who have disappear begin to appear, but is it for the better? It only leaves us with more questions as to where the series is going.

I just gotta say I love Ari. It may be because I see a little of myself in her, but I can't help it. She is the 14 year old going on 30, much like I was when I was 14. The whole age thing is something that leaves me with a bitter taste, still. She is 14 now, but appears to be 21. It's a bit confusing at best, annoying at worst.

All in all, good book, but I am needed a bit more plot! I can survive on the characters alone, but I'm not sure everybody could. This book is definitely not for everyone, if you expect action and a fast pace read, this is not for you, if you like to read about ideas, mystery, and a girl trying to find her way in the world, this is totally the book for you.

Ps; Love the cover.

4 comments:

  1. I am so getting this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems intersting, but I haven't read the first book yet, so I might read it then. :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this as good as The Society of S??
    kghobbs(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its the sequel, and yes, it is as good, if not better. =]

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...