•- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -♥- -•

Bloody Bookaholic's Commandment:

Thou Shall Read Till Thy Eyes Bleed

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Sneak Peak #1: The Lost Prince, by Julie Kagawa


“Hi.” 
Resigned, I turned and stared into the face of a girl. 
She was shorter than the others, more perky and cute than graceful and beautiful. Her long, straight hair was inky black, though she had dyed a few strands around her face a brilliant sapphire. She wore sneakers and dark jeans, tight enough to hug her slender legs, but not looking as if she’d painted them on. Warm brown eyes peered down at me as she stood with her hands clasped in front of her, shifting from foot to foot, as if it was impossible for her to stay still. 
“Sorry about the note,” she continued, as I shifted back to eye her warily. “I told Regan not to do it—Miss Singer has eyes like a hawk. We didn’t mean to get you in trouble.” She smiled, and it lit up the room. “I’m Kenzie. Well, Mackenzie is my full name, but everyone calls me Kenzie. Don’t call me Mac or I’ll slug you.” 
Behind her, the rest of the girls gaped and whispered to each other, shooting us furtive glances. I felt like some kind of exhibit at the zoo. Resentment simmered. I was just a curiosity to them, the dangerous new kid, to be stared at and gossiped about. 
“And…you are…?” Kenzie prompted. 
I looked away. “Not interested.” 
“Okay. Wow.” She sounded surprised but not angry, not yet. “That’s…not what I was expecting.” 
“Get used to it.” Inwardly, I cringed at the sound of my own voice. I was being a dick; I was fully aware of that. I was also fully aware that I was murdering any hope for acceptance in this place. You didn’t talk this way to a cute, popular cheerleader without becoming a social pariah. She would go back to her friends, and they would gossip, and more rumours would spread, and I’d be shunned for the rest of the year. 
Good, I thought, trying to convince myself. That’s what I want. No one gets hurt this way. Everyone can just leave me alone. 
Except…the girl wasn’t leaving. From the corner of my eye, I saw her lean back and cross her arms, still with that lopsided grin on her face. “No need to be nasty,” she said, unconcerned with my aggressiveness. “I’m not asking for a date, tough guy, just your name.” 
Why was she still talking to me? Wasn’t I making myself clear? I didn’t want to talk. I didn’t want to answer her questions. The longer I spoke to anyone, the greater the chance that They would notice, and then the nightmare would begin again. “It’s Ethan,” I muttered, still staring at the wall. I forced the next words out. “Now piss off.” 
“Huh. Well, aren’t we hostile.” Though her words were sharp, she still seemed more amused than anything. I resisted the urge to glance at her, though I still felt that smile, directed at me. “I was just trying to be nice, seeing as it’s your first day and all. But, if you want to be a jackass…”
 This came at the end of the hardcover copy of The Immortal Rules I got at BEA. ISN'T IT EXCITING!? Ethan Chase has turned a bit hostile and anti social- although it is on purpose. I wonder why does he have to alienate everybody... I mean Meghan did fine all on her own; just ignore them and them they will not know you can see them; Ethan needs to read Wicked Lovely, by Mellissa Marr, ASAP. Also shouldn't Ethan be under Meghan and Ash's protection (not to mention Puck's)? Just have Meghan be all like, mess with my brother and it'll be faerie war 2! Anyways, enjoy the sneak peak!

Which book sneak peak will you like for next week?



2 comments:

  1. okay this sounds really good. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cannot wait! I hope we get to see a little bit of ash lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Read your opinion, I want. Leave a comment, you shall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...